Tappan’s Handbook of Massage Therapy, 6e (Benjamin)
Chapter 2 History of Massage as a Vocation
1) In ancient civilizations, who provided personal care services, including massage, in the home?
A) Educated professionals
B) Slaves and domestic servants
C) Practitioners with home-visit practices
D) Village healers
2) According to the Greek geographer Strabo (63 B.C.E.-24 C.E.), with what did ancient Indian
royalty polish and rub their skin?
C) Flat sticks
3) In the 1800s, what word did the British use to describe the type of massage they saw in India,
China, and the Middle East?
4) In the 1800s, the government of Japan decreed that the occupation of ammashi (massage
practitioner) be reserved for:
B) Native Japanese
C) The poor
D) The blind
5) The type of bodywork given at a Turkish bath by a telltack has been described as:
A) Pressing the muscles, stretching, and cracking the joints
B) Gently stroking with scented oils
C) Pressing and kneading the shoulders while in the bath
D) Massaging the muscles using soapy water