Chapter 02: Ethical, Legal, and Safety Issues in Veterinary Medicine
Sirois: Principles and Practice of Veterinary Technology, 4th Edition
1. A safety rule when working around animals is
a. stay alert.
b. never mind the behavior of that species of animal.
c. have the owner restrain the animal, wherever possible.
d. move quickly and quietly, performing the procedure with a minimum of fuss.
ANS: A REF: Page 20
2. What is the minimum safety equipment required when using a portable x-ray machine?
a. Lead-lined apron and gloves
b. Lead-lined gloves and thyroid shield
c. Lead-lined apron, gloves, and glasses
d. Lead-lined thyroid shield, apron, and gloves
ANS: D REF: Page 20
3. The risks of exposure to anesthetic gases can best be reduced by
a. limiting the anesthetic time.
b. keeping the exhaust fans on during the procedure.
c. reducing the concentration of anesthetic gas being delivered to the patient.
d. regularly checking the anesthetic machine for leaks and ensuring that the
scavenging system is functioning properly.
ANS: C REF: Page 22
4. The OSHA Right-to-Know law
a. requires that all hospital staff are informed of all chemicals to which they may be
exposed while at work.
b. advises that you wear safety glasses and gloves when working with hazardous
c. recommends keeping a list of the type and location of all harmful chemicals that
are used in the workplace.
d. is unenforceable.
ANS: A REF: Page 23
5. Which of these chemicals is monitored by OSHA because of its carcinogenicity?
b. Ethyl alcohol
ANS: C REF: Page 25
6. When faced with a robbery, you should
a. attempt to escape and call the police.