Multiple Choice Questions
1. An atom has gained an electron; it has been ______.
2. Anything that occupies space and has mass is called ______.
3. The electrons of an atom are
A. moving in pathways called orbitals.
B. used to determine atomic number.
C. positively charged.
D. always equal to the number of neutrons in an atom.
E. found in the nucleus.
4. The electrons of an atom are
A. used to determine the atomic weight.
B. always equal to the number of protons.
C. carrying a positive charge.
D. always in full orbitals.
E. used to determine the atomic number.
MICROBIOLOGY A SYSTEMS APPROACH 5TH EDITION COWAN TEST BANK
Copyright © 2018 McGraw-Hill Education. All rights reserved. No reproduction or distribution without the prior written
consent of McGraw-Hill Education.
5. All of the following pertain to the atom Carbon-14 except it
A. has 14 neutrons.
B. is an isotope of carbon.
C. has 6 protons.
D. has 6 electrons.
6. The subatomic particles that surround the nucleus are the ______.
A. protons and neutrons
E. protons and electrons
7. What is the maximum number of electrons in the second energy shell of an atom?
8. What is the maximum number of electrons in the first energy shell of an atom?
9. Protons and neutrons make up the atom’s central core, which is referred to as its ______.
B. center of gravity
C. valence number