Chapter 02: Privacy, Security, and HIPAA
Smith: Fordney’s Medical Insurance, 15th Edition
1. The focus on the health care practice setting and reducing administrative costs and burdens are
the goals of
a. HIPAA Title I Insurance Reform.
b. HIPAA Title II Administrative Simplification.
c. HIPAA Security Rule Administrative Safeguard.
d. HIPAA Security Rule Technical Safeguard.
ANS: B DIF: Moderate REF: 18 OBJ: 3
2. The Office of Civil Rights enforces
a. code set requirements.
b. insurance portability.
c. privacy and security rules.
d. HIPAA transactions.
ANS: C DIF: Hard REF: 18 OBJ: 4
3. Confidential information includes
a. everything that is heard about a patient.
b. everything that is read about a patient.
c. everything that is seen regarding a patient.
d. all are correct.
ANS: D DIF: Moderate REF: 23 OBJ: 7
4. What is the correct response when a relative calls asking about a patient?
a. Document the name of the relative and his or her relationship to the patient before
disclosing any information.
b. Ask the relative to put the request in writing and include the patient’s signed
c. Have the physician return the telephone call.
d. None are correct.
ANS: C DIF: Hard REF: 25 | 27 OBJ: 7
5. Non-privileged information about a patient consists of the patient’s
a. city of residence.
ANS: A DIF: Easy REF: 23 OBJ: 8
6. Confidentiality is automatically waived in cases of
a. gunshot wounds.
b. child abuse.