Comprehensive Periodontics for the Dental Hygienist, 4e (Weinberg)
Chapter 2 Epidemiology of Periodontal Diseases
1) Which of the following sources represents where epidemiologic information about periodontal
disease comes from?
A) Gallup poll
B) Election poll
C) Population survey
D) Individual survey
E) Phone survey
2) The definition of extent of periodontal disease is
A) amount of periodontal disease involvement.
B) rate of new cases occurring within a year.
C) number of individuals in a population having the disease.
D) number of diseased teeth or sites per individual.
E) number of risk factors present in an individual.
3) Which of the following statements defines an index?
A) Numerical expression of values used to describe a condition
B) Rate of old and new cases occurring within a year
C) Number of individuals in a population presenting with the disease
D) Number of diseased teeth or sites per individual
E) Number of risk indicators present in an individual
4) All of the following indices are used in periodontics except one. Which one is the exception?
E) Gingival inflammation
5) The primary purpose of using an index in medicine/dentistry is to
A) standardize and reproduce data collected.
B) make data collection more efficient.
C) supplement clinical data with the patient’s medical history.
D) formulate a surgical treatment plan.